Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 & Overall Course

Logo Save Earth Clip Art

In the previous weeks I have primarily learned about three key topics: Goodwill Industries, Online learning activities, and Junking.

Well what can I say, in my past reflection posts I mentioned that I felt there was still a lot to learn and I was not disappointed.  To start off, my class and I took a field trip to one of the local Goodwill Industries in town.  It was very unique hearing about how the business is run and I found it fascinating how the company managed all of the items.  What fascinated me most, though, was that the employees mentioned that they do sacrifice efficiency and productivity to alter to the needs of the employees!  I thought that was so neat how it seems their primary purpose and goal of the industry is to provide job opportunities to individuals who have some sort of disability and would have a difficult time finding an initial job elsewhere.  The Goodwill Industry is really looking out for the good of the city and the citizens in it.  What also caught my attention was learning that items are either recycled, sold to other industries, and shipped overseas to third-world countries to provide them with clothing and such.  As a result, I do plan to shop at Goodwill more and I have already informed a number of my friends how Goodwill operates and a group of them have mentioned that they will shop there before going to places such as Savers.

What do I plan to purchase at Goodwill you ask? Well, another skill we learned in this course was how to conduct junking projects.  Junking entails a process in which you collect old/unused items and create them into something new.  I did mention junking in a previous reflection post, but what I learned this time is all of the many ideas and inspirations that may result from objects.  At our last class meeting we presented the junking projects that we created and I saw so many neat pieces, for example one classmate created a decorative star out of barbed-wire!


One of the final projects we had to conduct was an online learning activity.  We had to teach about our topic we advocated for; and mine was using alternative forms of transportation.  So to add a little 'twist' to the topic my lesson was based around conducting an investigation and figuring out what forms of air pollution result from driving automobiles.  I had a lot of fun creating the activity and I learned that online activities can be fun and engaging, it's all about the way you approach it!  This assignment really taught me, once again, to think 'outside the box.'  I also learned a lot about other environmental concerns by completing activities that my classmates created.


Overall Course:


I would have to say the main, mother-of-all thing that I learned throughout this course was to critically think.  I always thought of myself as a critical thinker, however, this course really showed me that there is another ball-field when it comes to thinking outside of your normal mindset.  This course proved to me that when we do approach a subject we generally tend to only know the 'surface' and top layer of the matter; and from that we often feel we are an expert, however, below the surface is a whole new range of thoughts, dilemmas, and considerations that need to be taken into account.


I also learned what it means to be a health educator.  As a health educator I do feel it is important to talk with other people about health topics and I have realized how much of an influence I may be on others.  My friends and family often come to me for advice when it comes to health, whether it be physically, emotionally, or spiritually people come to me because they know me as the 'health expert.' I have learned that because people do see me as an expert and that I have a degree in health education when I mention something to them that regards health they really take it to heart and consider the advise I give them.  I am very honored that people view me this way, however, I must admit this course has really opened my eyes up to the fact that I can have quite an influence on others.


Ultimately the words of my classmate, 'What haven't we learned from this course?' seems to sum up the semester pretty well, haha!

6 comments:

  1. "What haven't we learned from this course" is exactly how each and every one of us should describe it. I cannot even express the amount of knowledge I am walking away from this semester with. I love how you say the biggest thing you learned was "to critically think" I think that speaks volumes about the purpose of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really neat that Goodwill sacrifices productivity so that they can focus on the needs for the employees. I definitely will shop there more. I think your junking project turned out great! It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really "tapped" into my critical thinking too (haha). I've always thought of myself as a person that sees the bigger picture but boy was I wrong. This class made me think about how the little things can add up to be a real problem. Great job this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems fitting that your family comes to you for advice on health topics. You are very knowledgable, and now think of how much you can share with them from this class. We have learned such a wide variety of stuff that truly benefits every single person out there. Your junking project was unbelieveably creative!! I still cant believe you made it, it looks so good! And I love that everything just fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about this class making you think "out side of the box" per say. I really liked going to the Goodwill too and making our junking projects. If I need something I now check out the Goodwill first before buying it new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really glad that you have realized the influence that you have over others. I think the ability to inform and teach others is the foundation of our profession. As I have been reading your posts, it seems like you have been doing a wonderful job at getting your roommates involved in our projects. So keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete