Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities


TACKLING TRANSPORTATION: SARAH
For this activity, we were asked to choose 3 places that we visit on a regular basis and mention how we commute to them.  We then accessed the Google Transit website and route our locations. 

Location 1: Home to UMD (school and work)
Convenient Route: Bus - 10 minute ride
Typical Commute: This route does not differ from my typical route. I have been living off-campus for 3 years now and I have always taken the bus to school.  I have actually been able to convince one of my roommates that riding the bus is easier and more convenient and she has been taking it ever since it first snowed!
Realistic Change: This is a realistic change because I am doing it!
Incorporation of Route: Yes, I have incorporated this into my daily routine.

Location 2: Home to Essentia Health
Convenient Route: Bus - 8 minute ride
Typical Route: I know in the past when I have gone to that area I have driven.
Incorporation of Route: Yes, I would like to incorporate this into my routine. I will be doing my internship at Essentia Health and after growing up in the country, to be honest I have had enough of city parking, haha!

Location 3: Home to Glensheen
Convenient Route: Biking - 12 minute ride
Typical Route: I generally drive because I often run a little late!
Incorporation of Route: Yes, I would like to incorporate this into my routine.  Towards the end of this summer I was beginning to ride my bike to work more.

CHILDHOOD LEAD POISONING: ALYSSA
For this activity our task was to go to the CDC website and report 3 recalled items within the past year. We then went to the EPA website and figured out 3 ways to prevent ourselves from lead poisoning in our home. Finally, we then had to watch a video and reflect on the whole lesson plan and describe what we learned from completing the previous activities.


The 3 Recalled Items:
  1. Children's Bangles Bracelets: Recalled March 2010; First appeared May 2007; and Available since August 2008
  2. Youth and Junior Hockey Sticks, Shafts, and Blades Gear: Recalled April 2010; First appeared February 2005; Available since March 2010
  3. Bicycle Bells: Recalled March 2010; First appeared August 2008; Available since August 2009 
3 Ways to Prevent Lead Poisoning in the Home:
  1. Clean floors, window frames, window sills, and other surfaces weekly. 
  2. Keep children from chewing window sills or other painted surfaces.
  3. Make sure children eat healthy and have a balanced diet; children with good diets absorb less lead.
Reflection:I enjoyed how the video actually demonstrated the signs and symptoms of lead poisoning. I feel often times when we list signs and symptoms we tend to forget how they actually affect a person, but seeing it generally puts it back into perspective. This activity, as a whole, really opened my eyes up to the fact that you never know what materials may be used in an item you purchase. I always liked to think that all items had to pass specific tests before getting 'certified' to be sold on store shelves. I was aware that items have been recalled before, however, it was really scary to learn that a lot of the items on the list to choose from were children's toys. I will definitely be a lot more cautious about the toys I purchase for my nieces and nephews.

WATER VOCABULARY MATCH: CALLIE
Callie provided a few information links that discussed water and she also had a fun matching/pairing game to complete.


By completing the matching game I realized how many different ways water may become contaminated and how many systems there are when it comes to treating and cleaning the water. This activity really makes me appreciate all of the work that is necessary for me to be able to drink clean and non-contaminated water.

UNDERSTANDING EMISSIONS: ADAM
For this activity, we reviewed fact sheets about transportation and being active, we also watched a video, and used a vehicle pollution impact calculator to measure our emissions then report on our findings and what we have learned.

  1. After completing the emissions calculator, I found out that I am a little better than average.  Even though mine was lower than average I know there are still plenty more ways I can reduce the amount of exhaust emissions I permit. I do take the bus quite a bit, especially during the school year and in the summer I am trying to bike and rollerblade more so that's a start! 
  2. I learned that if I must drive some cars may be fueld by 'clean fuel,' which is made of ethanol (a renewable fuel, unlike fossil fuels. I also learned that clean fuel is available at a variety of locations in the Twin Cities.
  3. After watching the video I found it interesting that in the video, 'Walkable Communities,' it was mentioned that most places that are necessary to go (ie. work, school, church, grocery store) will all be within walking distance. It was also mentioned that Walkable Communities are the way of the future, which I feel is funny because if we look back on history (I mean way back like settler's time, haha) most communities were walkable communities and have simply developed over the years. I have never heard of these communities before, however, I would really like to go visit one to learn more about how the community runs.
OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD CROSSWORD: SAM
For this activity, Sam created a crossword puzzle for us. I had to search for the answers online and as I searched I found out lead poisoning and the effects they can have. Below I have listed the answers to the crossword that I found.

Down:
1.  Inhilation
2.  Decades
4.  Wash

Across:
3.  Lead
5.  Blood
6.  Symptoms
7.  Work

THE EFFECTS OF SMOKING: KRISTY
For this activity, Kristy provided a couple of websites regarding smoking statistics in the United States as well as in Minnesota.  Once we went through the websites we then had a quiz/survey to complete about smoking.

As I was completing this activity I found it so surprising at the statistics the websites shared.  I do get very nervous when I am tested on things so this activity was also challenging to overcome.  I am a little bummed that once I finished the quiz I was not able to see my answers so that I would know the correct one.  The information was very powerful and the websites, especially the Minnesota one really captured the emotion that smoking is a serious matter and has negative affects on everyone it encounters.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on all of the activities. I thought all of the information was really surprising and I feel much more aware of all of the topics. Seems like you'll be incorporating some it into your routine! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was disappointing that my activity couldn't share the answers, but I will post them so you can see them. Being it a "survey" aspect, correct answers weren't an option to show. Biking is a great transportation alternative so I am glad to see that you are able to incorporate that into your schedule. I too found Adam's video interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that there was clean fuel available. I think biking it's a good idea to start biking. I'm always afraid to start that up here because the hills are so big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im really glad to here that taking the bus to campus is part of your regular routine and I am really excited to here that you have convinced your roommates to take the bus. Also, I think it is really cool that you have started biking as an alternative route of transportation. In the summer time I really like to bike everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job completing the tasks. It looks like you learned a lot. One thing I noticed that we had in common is that we both work at school. I too have decided to ride the bus to work and school. It is way more convenient and cheaper. It is cool you got your roommate to do it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you really took a lot away from everyones activities, these online lessons were great. Thank you for participating in mine, it seems like you learned some good facts.

    ReplyDelete