Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal


I will place any extra food I have after each meal into a bucket to be dropped off and composted at Sara's Table Restaurant (a composting site) each Friday between 10 - 10:30am.

This eco-chic lifestyle change will help reduce the amount of food that is wasted and is then disposed of.  Composting is a great way for nature to nuture itself.  What I mean is that by taking the food that was not consumed and composting it, it may then become a great soil nourisher which will enable new plants and 'life' to grow from it.  By doing this there will be less 'waste' to harm the earth.

I chose this particular behavior because I've really noticed lately that I do have a difficult time finishing meals at times.  Growing up whenever we had food scraps left we would set them outside for my dog and cats to eat.  However, now I am living in a home that does not allow pets and so I have had to scrape any leftovers I have had off my dish and into garbage.  When I do this I feel extremely wasteful and it reminds me of the fact that some people do not have as good of access to food and are starving.  This way if I compost I am at least giving something back to the environment and allowing it to grow instead of hindering it.

To give myself a 'kick-start' I went an picked up the composting bags and set it up in a bucket.  I have also placed the bucket on my shelf in the fridge to remind myself to place any leftover scraps I have remaining.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I never knew that Sarah's Table did that, what a great idea! It helps produce nutrient-rich soil that benefits so much more. The only problem I see with your goal is that it might get a little stinky!! UGH! haha, but as long as you keep it in far range, it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara's Table is only two blocks from my house. I never knew they did that! I might have to consider composting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Sarah's Table but this sounds like a unique idea, do they do anything for the homeless who have to dig in dumpsters for food? If not, they should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really interesting that there is a place so close that offers this service! I've never composted before, what a good idea for your goal! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something new and cool! How did you hear of this place and the cool things that they do? I really want to know how your progress goes with this goal. I'm looking forward to your update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome idea! I've never heard of Sara's Table and I did not know that you could do this! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cool goal! I would have never even thought of doing this because I knew I didnt have anywhere to compost. I did not know Sara's Table had a place for compost. Very interesting and I may have to give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete