Friday, October 15, 2010

Share and Voice: New SunChips 100% Compostable Package


Above is a brief advertisement I retrieved from YouTube of SunChips new compostable package.  If you have seen any SunChips commercials lately or strolled past their chip bags in the grocery store then you may be aware that the SunChips manufacturers have recently gone public with their 100% compostable packaging, the first company to produce an environmentally friendly bag.


Though it seems the SunChips company may be taking a step backward in progress, instead of forward.  Between late-September to early October SunChips will only be producing compostable bags for their Original flavor of chips while the other flavors will return to their old, traditional packaging.


Why the switch?  It appears the public has not fully warmed up to the company's new form of packaging.  The company has received an enormous amount of feedback from consumers regarding their un-satisfaction with the noise the new bags create.  So for the time being, the company will be temporarily converting back to their old packaging as they investigate other compostable packaging options.


I feel this is sad on two accounts.  First, I do realize that SunChips is a company and their primary objective is to satisfy customers, however, I feel that if they really wanted to be known as a 'green' company they would continue to use the 100% compostable bags until they discovered a more 'friendly' bag.  Instead, it seems they are taking a step backwards due to the company seeking consumer satisfaction over their concern for sustaining the environment.  The second, it seems the public is more concerned about how much noise the bag makes over being happy knowing that the SunChips company is taking precautions to help the sustain the planet.


I have purchased SunChips since the compostable bag has been released and I will admit the bag is a little louder than other chip packages, however, I have always been able to overlook that minor issue because I know the bags are benefiting the health of  the environment.  As a future health educator learning why SunChips is reverting back to their traditions bags reminds me that people are having difficulties recognizing how vital and fragile the earth really is.  All the more for us to go out to the public and help educate them on environmental health!

5 comments:

  1. I agree! Yes, the bags are quite loud and obnoxious but they're still the same chips? It shouldn't be that big of an issue. I also agree that it doesn't make much sense for SunChips to go back to their old ways, there was obviously a reason they changed in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you guys. The bags are pretty loud and rediculous, but if it is going to be helping the environment I think people need to learn to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the bags are louder, but it is for a good causes. I wish people could get past the noise issue and realize that it is helping out earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really sad that the company is going back to the other bags. I too think that they should just stay with this bag until they find something better. I will admit that I have complained about how annoying the new bags are, but I also thought it was cool that a chip company was trying to do something good for the environment. They need to not care as much that people complain about the bag. The chips taste the same; that's what people care about most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that Sun Chips were using a more environmental friendly bag. I thought this was a really good idea, but also would have to agree that the bag was a lot louder than the normal chip bag. I agree though that Sun Chips are now kind of taking a step backward by going returning to their original bags, that is a bummer. Hopefully they will find an environmental bag that can satisfy the consumers, overall, more effectively.

    ReplyDelete