Friday, October 8, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 1-4

Logo Save Earth Clip Art

In the previous weeks I have primarily learned three key topics: how to create and utilize a blog, how much of an impact I am having on the environment, and what I can do to help sustain the environment.

Thus far in the course we have primarily discussed creating and utilizing the wonderful internet tool known as a blog.  Since I have started blogging I have realized how convenient it is for me to communicate with my classmates along with knowing that less trees are being consumed since we have no textbook for the course and most work is completed online.  I love to read and learn, however, I am not a huge fan of technology so previously I felt the best way for me to learn was through reading various books and texts though now I am looking into purchasing a 'NOOK' book - an electronic device that enables you to purchase and download books and magazines electronically replacing printed reading materials.

As one of our assignments for the course we were instructed to take an assessment called IUHPE Ecological Footprint.  For this assessment you have to answer various questions regarding topics such as what forms of transportation you use and where you primarily purchase your groceries.  Once you have completed the assessment you are then informed of how many earths it would take to sustain people if everyone had your lifestyle.  I was shocked to hear that mine was 4.8 earths!  So this assignment really made me think about how I am living and become aware of how even my small decisions leave an everlasting mark on the earth.  I've noticed in the past few weeks that before I purchase any services or goods I try to briefly go through how using this product will impact the earth.  For example, I had made a meal earlier this week and when I was putting the leftovers away I used a plate and placed seran-wrap over it, though after I did that I realized how much seran-wrap I go through.  Seems like something that doesn't really matter, however, it made me think about the fact that when I take out the meal again I end up tossing out the seran-wrap and thus I create a lot more unnecessary waste.  As a result, I have decided that I am going to use tupperware for my food more often instead of having the food on a plate with seran-wrap on top.

The final topic I have really learned is how to make small decision changes, such as the one I stated above, in order to allow the environment to sustain.  I am reading a book, Do One Green Thing, that is doing a fantastic job at teaching me how to make small lifestyle changes.  Each chapter begins with a challenge for the reader to do 'one green thing,' such as wash most of your laundry in cold water.  The author then goes on to inform you of why it is necessary to make this lifestyle change and how the change will benefit the environment.  The book also includes a wonderful list of actual items out there to consider when making these changes and which items to pass up.  This book has taught me to research and think about the future more when it comes to purchasing various goods.  The author provides many alternative goods to choose from instead of simply going with what you have always purchased.  I hope to try out some of these skills in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that your book gives really good tips on how to make small lifestyle changes to become more green. Thank you for sharing those with us because I have learned some new ways to become more green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that we are all learning about things we can do to help the earth more than hurt it. We just need to get more people involved and actually carry out the things we are shown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Small changes is all we need to do in order to get our world going in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree! I really love all the things we are learning. These are good things to know especially for our future careers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree that we are learning beneficial information in this class. It will relate to a lot of things we will need to continue doing in our future and hopefully get more people to START doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little things really DO make a big difference, and this class is proving that. I love all of the tips our books, blogs, and class time provide us with. I think it is having a big impact on all of us.

    ReplyDelete