Monday, October 25, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group



To be completely honest, generally speaking, I do not tend to use a lot of cosmetic supplies. I actually had to look up on the Target store website to search through the cosmetics section in an attempt to find a product I 'use' that's probably lying in the bottom of my dresser's drawer. I do not wear any foundation creams or anything so the product I chose was CoverGirl Lashblast mascara, Black Brown


After typing the product's name into the Cosmetic Safety Database I was slightly discouraged.  It was revealed to me that the safety of my mascara was rated 5/10 (10 being the most toxic), which means it poses a moderate hazard.  The database continued on and revealed that some of the ingredients found in this product are linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, and allergies/immunotoxicity.  From that the most toxic ingredient in my mascara is Petroleum Distillates scoring 8/10 (10 being the most toxic ingredient).  Unfortunately some side effects linked to this ingredient include cancer and organ system toxicity (non-reproductive).  Followed closely behind Petroleum Distillate was Propylparaben scoring 6/10.  Negative side effects and links to this ingredient entail developmental/reproductivity toxicity, endocrine disruption, allergies/immunotoxicity, and again, organ system toxicity (non-reproductive).


When I view these results I am both shocked and disappointed.  Since I don't wear make-up very often I do feel I am less likely to develop any of the negative side effects, however, that being said, I do have a high concern about using the product now.  The next time I wear make-up instead of applying mascara I will be thinking that I am applying cancer to my lashes.  After using this database I have really realized how much I need to assess my life as a whole.  I feel as if I would like to go home right now and toss the mascara into the trash.  As I was browsing through the Target webpage I notice they carry an organic mascara, Physicians Formula Organic mascara.  I attempted to look this product up on the database, however, was unable to find any results.  This is a product I will be conducting more research on and will hopefully consider in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are saying. Since you don't wear makeup much, it will be hard to justify it now I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use Lashblast, but I use it almost every day. :(

    I am now looking into other options, because a 5 out of 10 is too hazardous for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use a product that came up high as cancer causing, and it is scary to think the things we use everyday can have such harmful affects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he product that I use was not that bad but it is a scary thought to think that some of the daily products we do use can possibly be so harmful.

    ReplyDelete